Friday, October 06, 2006

Two Beating Hearts


Did you know that a snake has 2 hearts? Do you know how I know that snakes have 2 hearts?

I was invited by my colleague, Mr. Hung, to go out for drinks and celebrate the Lunar Festival (I think it is kind of equivalent to our thanksgiving except it is more for the kids, but I'll have to investigate it more) last night. I am thinking he is going to be picking me up by motorbike and we are going to check out a parade and go to a bar or something. So I am waiting outside my hotel with my helment in hand. Instead, I am picked up by his friend who is driving a SUV and their first impression of me is holding my big blue helment - they probably think I am scared for my life to go out on the streets. And to own a car in Vietnam is very expensive because they are really high tariffs for imports, which I just learned that morning. So I was caught off guard being in a vehicle.

So I am hanging out with 4 other people about my age and all they tell me is that we are going to a traditional village outside Hanoi to celebrate the festival. We go to a restaurant that is off a lake and I finally understand that we are going out for dinner to celebrate the festival. All of a sudden the restaurant owner is holding a live snake in front of our table. I read in my guidebook how animal blood is quite popular to drink and I remember thinking to myself that I will try almost anything, but only if it's cooked.

So guess what we had for dinner? ... the snake was gutted and that's when I saw the 2 hearts which were still pumping in a shot glass. We all had a shot of snakes blood that is mixed with Vodca. I figured it wouldn't kill me and since I was being treated, I really didn't want to refuse - even though a girl who was sitting next to me didn't have it. We had snake in probably 10 different dishes: fried snake meat, snake soup, snake bone, snake mixed with pork, snake with vegetables, etc. I really think I could handle the eating part of Fear Factor.

So many of you are probably quite grossed out by this, but I have always thought who are we to judge other cultures' cuisines? I am here to be immersed in the country so I am going to be as open minded as possible. If you have a chance to try snake, go for it!

No comments: