Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Super Saturday: Inc. Vietnam Run & Turkey

I survived the run around West Lake and actually ran (well, jogged) most of the 13km. In the photo is Paul, my running partner, and the start/finish of the run. I would not have been able to do it without Paul! I only expected myself to run for about half an hour and thought I would be walking the rest that I even was carrying my camera with me. I couldn't convince any of my friends to come join me at 630 in the morning. I was picturing actually running around the lake, but really we ran on the streets around the lake. It is not like Ottawa where they close the streets ... we were running in the traffic, weaving around the buses and xe om's (motorbikes). So I really was not expecting to last that long, but perhaps having cars behind me made me run faster. Paul was running in front of me and he is probably about 60 and I guess my competitive side came out and I told myself I was not going to stop until he stopped and we ended up running together for the rest of the run. Good thing I ran with him, he has been in Hanoi for about a year and runs regularly around the lake. I would have gotten lost since there were no route markers.

I was rewarded in the evening. I did have turkey for Thanksgiving afterall - just a week later. The Canadian Chamber of Commerce organized a big dinner hosted at the Ambassador of Canada's home. There were probably about 70 other Canadians there and all the food was cooked in the ambassador's kitchen and was delicious. They imported turkeys and there was mash potatoes (which were first to go), cranberry sauce (not the canned stuff), stuffing, veggies, and even pumpkin pie.
So that was my Saturday, normal as always!

No comments: