Friday, October 06, 2006

One Week

So it has been a week and I am trying to decide if it feels like I have been here for a long time or I still feel like I just got here. I think the internship is going to go by really fast, so I am just trying to soak everything in and not to rush it. I think that's one thing I learned about myself - I am always in a rush, trying to get as much stuff done as possible, always trying to be efficient. I am finally learning how to relax and just taking it easy. Things don't have to be done that very next minute.

I like writing the blog because it gives me a chance to reflect about the day and remind myself that I actually did that and I didn't make it up in my head. I like knowing that people are reading my blog, so please comment! I think all you have to do is click on the comment link and then you can post. Comment about anything, it doesn't have to be about the postings, just anything in general or something about yourself.

With the internet I really don't feel that far away. I like being able to read the CBC and know what is happening in Canada. I keep reading about the mayoral race in Ottawa and I am curious to see who will win in November, I have my preference, so we'll see if he wins.

Yesterday was a pretty full day (same day as the snake day). I had a full day at the office, I am beginning to work on my work plan for the next 5 months. I checked out some expat restaurants for apt postings, looked at an apt (it was nice, good price, but way too far away, so the hunt continues), and then went to get some dinner. Getting dinner is sometimes of a challenge because since I am eating alone, I want to go somewhere where I can sit at a small table, look inconspicuous, but also be able to read the menu and order in my minimal vietnamese.

I found this great little restaurant that make noodles with fried pork and vegetables. They make only this dish, so there is no need to struggle with ordering. When I went to pay, they charged me for a beer that I did not order (there happen to be an empty bottle next to where I was sitting) so I am trying to explain that I did not order that beer. My message wasn't getting across, so I thought screw it, I'll just pay for the beer. So I gave the waitress a 50, 000 dong (vietnamese currency) bill and I was given the change. I am talking to an older Aussie man behind me and then the waitress comes to me and tells me that the bill is a fake! I don't have any other change on me and I think the bill is real anyway because I got it from the bank, so I am in a little bit of a bind - customers around me are staring, my vietnamese is horrible, I am accused of giving them fake money, I have no other money ... but I stayed calm. The Aussie offers to pay for my meal, the waitress gives back the 'fake bill' and I try to be the honest Canadian I am and give back the change that was given to me earlier, but I think there was such a confusion, that she forgot that she got me change that she didn't take it. So really I made money from the dinner because, I got the 50 back, with the change, and the Aussie paid for my dinner. I really hope he didn't think I scammed him ...

and after that is the snake experience which can be read in my previous posting!

No comments: