Monday, October 02, 2006

My Motorcycle Diary

Today was my first day on a motorbike and oh course, I went big and did it in the motorbike capital of the world! It is the main mode of transportation for the Vietnamese and it is just plain wild.

I thought I was taking the bus to work this morning, but my colleague, Ms. Thuy, picked me up in her white Honda - I guess it was a miscommunication. There are more motorbikes than cars and just picture weaving between cars and buses and motorbikes going every which way even if it's a one way street. I was holding my breath, but then just learned to let go and take it all in. There are litterally hundreds maybe thousands of motorbikes on the roads. Plus, they park on the sidewalks so you can just imagine what is it like for a pedestrian. I am trying to determine which is safer - walking or riding a motorbike?

No comments: