Sunday, October 01, 2006

First 2 days in Hanoi

Well, I made it. I am officially in Hanoi. My flight over was actually pleasent (and it was with Air Canada!). It was about 23 hours total with the stopovers in Toronto and Hong Kong and the time difference is now 12 hours since Vietnam does not observe day light savings time.

I was greeted at the airport by one of my future colleagues with a bouquet of flowers and was taken out to dinner. The hotel I am staying is pretty comfy, but now I am looking for an apartment. I was hoping it would just happen, but not so ... turns out it is all about timing and talking to the right people, in other words I need to schmooze ...

My initial thoughts? I naively thought that if I was going to fit in anywhere and not seem like a foreigner, it would be here. But it is far from the truth, I feel like the biggest foreigner and just plain ackward. The little vietnamese I know isn't taking me very far since the south and north dialects are actually quite different. Once I find a room, I will be enlisting myself in some vietnamese classes right away!

No comments: