Monday, January 08, 2007

Happy 2007!

I just came back from a 12-day vacation / work trip and it has been a very jammed-packed journey. I feel like I have been gone for months because so much has happened.


Here is a quick synopsis: the trip started off with Kate, Whitfield parents, and I visiting Ha Long Bay and Cat Ba Island for 3 days, then driving back to Hanoi to catch an evening flight to Saigon. Sarah joinned us for this leg of this trip and Sarah and I were in the Saigon New Year's Ultimate tournament, while Kate and her parents toured the city. We spent New Year's eve with the ultimate people and danced the night away at a fancy club downtown. The following morning, New Year's Day, I went to visit my relatives at my uncle's farm, which deserves a separate posting, and met about 20 aunts, uncles, and cousins for the first time. During this whole time, I was up early and used the following day to sleep and let my body recooperate (we played 6 games of ultimate in less than 48 hours in about 30 degree weather). Kate and Linda left for Da Nang (the city that divided South and North Vietnam at the 17th parallel) and I had to say my farewells to them and let them travel around Vietnam without my watchful eye. The funny part is Kate and Linda probably know Saigon better than I do (you would think it would be in my blood ...) as it was them telling me where everything was.

So what are one of the things to do when you are in Saigon? Oh course, shopping! Sarah and I did some window shopping and then went for sushi (haven't had since being here and been having many cravings) with the Canadian Chamber of Commerce Ho Chi Minh office (Sarah works for the Hanoi office). Sounds like a lot of time has passed with all these activities, but really it has only been about 7 days at this point ...

Ha Long Bay is a pictureseque area that is seen in lots of travel ads for VN

My director from Hanoi met me in Saigon where we caught a 1.5 hour ferry ride to Vung Tau City for a 2-day working session for one of our municipal partnership projects. We will be helping to develop a census survey which will be used to develop municipal services for the migrant population. I will be heading there again at the end of the month, and can't complain as it is off the sea and surrounded by beaches. When France occupied Vietnam, they used this area for resorts and a holiday getaway from Saigon.

There were ultimate players from mostly around Asia, but a few who travelled from Canada and Australia. Ultimate use to be predominantly played by expats, but is now growing in popularity with locals. Group pic of all the players from Hanoi.

From Vung Tau I headed back to Saigon where I stayed with my uncle and litterally ate for 48 hours straight. I had lunches and dinners at different houses, each aunt taking a turn to feed me and was also taken to two weddings, where one had over 900 people! I returned to Hanoi last night and am back at work, feeling a little tired, but had a great trip overall. I am going away again in 3 weeks but in the meanwhile am keeping put in Hanoi as I barely have slept in my own bed.

Even the Fantastic Four came to the New Year's party. There was a space galactical theme, but I however left my costume somewhere ...

New Year's eve on the bustling streets of Saigon

I will get to celebrate New Year's twice this year as Tet (the Vietnamese New Year) is in mid-February and that is the largest vietnamese holiday where everything shuts down for a week. I feel like I am on on-going holidays, but it is now time to buckle down and get some work done. Not allowed to have anymore fun, at least until I learn some more vietnamese.

Thanks Paulina and Yvonne for the Xmas cards! Yvonne - I been snacking on the candy canes and introduced them to my office-mates.

No comments: