Monday, December 25, 2006

Chuc Mung Giang Sinh

Happy Merry Christmas to all (that's how all the locals say it in English)! It is Christmas day and yes, I am at work, but it does not bother me whatsoever as it has been a great Christmas holiday so far.

My roomies, Caroline from England and Lora from the US, and our Christmas tree

We hosted a Xmas Eve party that I think will be memorable for all. We had homemade lasagna, gingersnaps, and shortbread cookies - that might seem easy to make, but you have to remember that most houses don't have ovens and that Lora had to go to a friend's house, do all the baking, and transport it to the house! We ate well and I was stuffed by 7:30 (party started at 7) but was able to eat the whole night long ... when else am I going to get homemade baking?! We had a gift exchange where we were able to steal other people's presents, sang lots of caroles (except for some reason the only song we all knew was Oh Come All Ye Faithful ...), and played games (Team Couch Potatoes came in a respectable 2nd place). Let's just saw the party went until 3:30am and I made it to work by 9 ...


Vietnamese santa even made a showing to our party

There were people from all over the world at our place and can you believe there were 6 Nova Scotians (either from or went to university) out of about 40 people?

I think about Christmas and how normally I spend it with my mom, stepdad, and relatives in Sydney and this year I spent it with 40 strangers ... people who I never even knew I would cross paths with ... but had a special celebration with people who were away from their family, too. And now I sound mushy, but it really felt like Xmas because we didn't need extravagent gifts or expensive presents, we had a good time because of good company.

Kate and family have arrived safely and I am so impressed with their open-mindedness and sense of adventure to really see Vietnam. They are presently in Sapa for a few days and are spending Xmas in the mountains. On their first day here they surprised me at work and walked all the way from their hotel, which is a hefty hour / hour and a half walk through major arterial roads with heavy traffic. Kate lugged a huge bag of cards and presents from home and thanks to everyone who sent me greetings, I really appreciate it :) It is kind of strange having someone from home, being here with me as you can easily get stuck in a bubble which I think was happening to me. I am glad Kate and her parents can see what I see, they got to see my house, my neighbourhood, my work, where I eat, where I hang out, and meet some of my friends.

So technically I am celebrating Xmas 12 hours earlier than everyone. My sister, Michael, and Donna & Claud just phoned and wished me a Merry Christmas. It's Xmas eve for them and they just prepared food for tomorrow's big meal. I was very jealous to hear they are having a big bowl of turnip! I really miss eating root vegetables, I am more Canadian than I sometimes realize ...

Kate, Geoff, Linda, and I will be heading to Halong Bay and Cat Ba Island for a few days then are off to Saigon. I am going in the NY's ultimate tournament and we will be celebrating NY's with ultimate players from around Asia. My aunt from Toronto is visiting family in Saigon right now and I will be visiting new family in the new year.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone. Hope you are having a monstruous turkey and turnip.

No comments: