Friday, January 19, 2007

It's just cold

One of my friends' says there really is no such thing as cold, you just have to wear the appropriate clothing ... I disagree. Today in Hanoi it is about 14 degrees, and it is a cool 14 degrees. Although it would seem like it should be warm, it is the humidity that makes the cold chilling. I thought the humidity in warm weather was bad, but this is ridiculous. I am sitting in my office in my sweater, jacket, wearing my mitts when I am not typing, and winter boots (which I had to go find), plus drinking tea and I am still freezing. I am not sure how else to warm up?!

Even everyone on the street has on big puffy winter jackets and toques. I admit I was skeptical when I was warned about Hanoi's winter, boasting that I was from Canada and I could handle it no problem. I feel like a wimp. My colleague, Linh, who sits next to me is 7 months pregnant. She is cold too but has not complained - so I am not letting myself complain out loud and thought I would just vent on my blog instead.

Linh and I were born in the same year (quick aside - when you ask people their age they normally tell you what year they were born because in Vietnam you are 1 when you are born and 2 on your first birthday, so really I am turning 27 in March ...) she has been married about a year and is expecting her first child. It has been very cool watching her belly get bigger and asking her questions about healthcare for pregnant Vietnamese women. I found out when you go to the doctor's for the ultrasound, they will tell you if you are having a boy but don't tell you if you are going to have a girl. I am not really sure if that dissuades abortions, but I have heard abortions are a growing problem in Vietnam. I might still be here when Linh delivers and can't wait to see her baby boy.

No comments: