Sunday, November 25, 2007

In the Cape and Learning how to “Relax”

I just found this on my laptop and this was actually written in August when I was home on vacation and I must have wrote it when I had a little bit of time on my hands (there is no cable or internet on the premises, nor many friends who still live in Sydney, and the ones that do were working - but I was very excited that Danielle took a vacation day to hang out!).

So I’m home after not being here in Cape Breton in about a year and a half and not seeing my mom since my time in Vietnam. I am officially on vacation, which means I am actually getting paid for this week I am off from the office.

I flew into Halifax on a Friday and Carrie (friend from junior high school, meaning we have been friends for over 14 years!) picked me up from the airport and the drive into the city was very scenic – it dawned on me that I haven’t been in Nova Scotia during the summer in years because the only time I come home is during Christmas, so seeing the ocean flying in and all the fields in full bloom was quite picturesque.

We dropped off the car and went straight for lunch and drinks to the patio of Your (or maybe it’s My … I always get it confused) Father’s Moustache, an old lunchtime hangout during my undergrad days. I met up with Adele, my neighbour from residence in first year for coffee and dinner. We went for a walk down along the waterfront and reminisced about our younger days and catching up about our current career paths. I was staying at Amanda’s (old roommate from Dal) apartment and was waiting for her arrival from PEI where she came back for the weekend to see me and some other friends who were in town. The plan was to go out that evening because Kersten happened to be down from the ’knife for her sister’s wedding except I didn’t really know the places to go anymore since Halifax has seemed to gone through a transition from old fashion Irish pubs to swanky martini bars. We started at the Bitter End for some drinks and transferred to the Tribecca which is a cool little place with character and atmosphere. Tried ending the evening at Reflections, which is a gay bar which is rumored to have great dancing and a place I always wanted to go but just never have made it to. But … just as we were about to enter, the dance floor was a bit empty and techno music was blaring, which goes against the two factors I need to dance, a full dance floor and music I know. However the evening ended like most of my nights when we use to go out … at pizza corner and we did see a local celebrity home on holidays as well, Sidney Crosby.

Next morning Amanda and I went to the farmer’s market which was one of my favorite things to do when I lived in Halifax. I got my usual smoothie and Indian combo for breakfast. There are some very progressive plans in the works to relocate the market to the waterfront. Amanda was able to see a little bit of what I actually do because I am sure urban planning sounds kind of confusing in itself. The plans are for a LEED (Leadership in Environmental and Energy Design) platinum level certified green building where the heating and cooling system will be regulated by the local environment using the harbour waters, solar panels, green roofs, and a wind turbine.

Drove back to Sydney that afternoon and everything looked much the same except I must say I did see lots of new stores (albeit big box) and the mainstreet and harbourfront looked good with the new improvements that have been implemented. I was really impressed with the running/walking pathways and park that was put behind Sherwood Park Junior High School.

Sarah’s bachelorette was that evening where I can proudly say we closed the infamous Smooth Herman’s.

No comments: