Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Attack of the MOLD!

The flags were out in my neighbourhood to celebrate the Lunar New Year.

I am thinking of what memorable moments stick out for me in the last couple of week and I have to say it is finding MOLD on my good clothes. Yes, yes it may seem like I dwell on the Hanoi weather, but from the winter season to the spring the moisture in the air I am sure has reached 99%. Our house was literally sweating on the inside – our marble staircase, walls, fridge were drenched and dripping of perspiration because of the yucky humidity. I was warned that I will find mold on my clothes and anything leather and I was quite skeptical of this warning. When I came back from Thailand shirt by shirt, pants and jacket had nice old fuzzy mold on it. And the worst part is even though I put everything in the wash, we do not have a dryer and nothing can dry in this humidity. I feel like I live in a rain forest, which may sound cool but please be assured it is not!

So I am almost over this mold issue but I am not liking the beginning of the rainy season. It has rained everyday and been grey for the last few weeks and it is just depressing. I was fortunate to get a break from it when I was in Thailand, but it is definitely just crappy out. I know I sound pretty sore right now but I am really enjoying my last month in Hanoi. I am trying to think of something positive to say about this weather … hmmm, I don’t need to wear chapstick since my lips are staying nice and moist …

Karaoke, oh course!

I have discovered Skype which in pretty much like having a phone over the internet. Vinny introduced it to me a few years ago but no one else had it back then so I never really got into it. But Sharon, reintroduced me and it is great! It is so inexpensive to call long distance you just need a microphone and make sure you know your time zones. I was able to call my mom (although I think I woke her up) and talked to Sharon in Brisbane. How did people travel before with no internet, email, or messenger?!

Town of Phuket from my Thai trip.

I been meeting up with a lot of visitors this week. Jonathan’s dad (Caper who I ran into in Laos) was in town and last night I had dinner with a Dutch couple who I also met in Laos. I went on a hike with the Hanoi Hashers last week and got to help set the trail for the walkers. I also been to karaoke a couple more times (I wonder if Ottawa has any good karaoke bars?) and went to trivia night at Finnigan’s with my roommate Lora and I was definitely not the ringer on the team…. would you know what anteaters prefer to eat (and it is not ants) or the author of Angela’s Ashes?


It’s been almost 6 months since I been here. I am no longer an intern and working a short-term contract with FCM right now. I keep thinking how strange everything is going to seem when I get back to Canada. I am going to think everything is ridiculously expensive and will keep converting prices into dongs. I haven’t really cooked or cleaned since being here and been spoiled with having a housekeeper. Poor Kate, thinks I am really going to make coffee for her in the mornings!

1 comment:

Kate & Rob said...

You are only allowed back in the Country if you agree to make me coffee in the morning. I will make it easy for you though - you can make me vietnamese coffee with condensed milk and those little tin cups that sit on top of your mug! Those are the conditions (for now because we'll have to talk about not doing any cleaning anymore next time) :)