Thursday, November 23, 2006

I didn't crash the motorbike!

I knew I couldn't really experience Vietnamese life until I rode a motorbike. I just was not going to drive one in Hanoi. I was out of the city yesterday for a field trip with my friend Steve to visit one of his projects in Ha Nam province. It was a nice small rural city with no traffic and Steve suggested I try to drive his organization's new bike since I wouldn't have to worry about learning how to use a clutch since I don't know how to drive a standard (to Kate's dismay).

I had to learn completely from scratch - when Steve showed me the nozzle I think I worried him when I asked what it was for ... but he rode with me so he could tell me step by step what to do. It actually wasn't very complicated and I got up to 40 clicks for a few seconds. We rode down a long not very windy road but somehow I still almost got into a few accidents! I kind of got nervous when trucks when pass us and I wasn't use to using the foot break that I had to swerve and a truck stopped and yelled some profanity at us ... oh well. I made the locals laugh with my very not smooth starts and stops. I have to say I am impressed that Steve actually trusted me with his life - I did warn him that I have a reputation for being slightly clumsy, but now I am excited to go motobiking again!

1 comment:

Lina said...

I very rarely get jealous of others and the things they do.....however, that being said, Hieu!!! I have never been more jealous of anyone in my entire life. You got to ride a motorbike all by yourself in Vietnam!! I think that's just about the coolest thing in the world. I love the pic attached to the story. One day I will be just as cool as you in this pic (it would help if I actually had a drivers licence!). Looks like you are having a fabulous time, it was great chatting the other day and hopefully I'll see you very soon. Big hugs from Brighton! xox